Friday 10 June 2016

Officially 23! | Circa May 2016

I can't believe another year flew by just like that and I am now another year older. Although I don't necessarily feel any wiser than I did a few days ago or the week before, probably won't be making any smarter decisions too.

Just the other day I was reminded by TimeHop about that time that I went ahead and did something completely bizarre near my birthday. It was quite a YOLO moment which made me wonder what had possessed me into being so brave that day.
Tattoo number 2 done at Borneo Ink in circa May 2015
I remember wanting a second tattoo for the longest time but have been too chicken to go do it on my own. Plus I was taking ten thousand years just trying to come up with the correct one to get and procrastinating every day. Anything to delay the process out of fear because I'm lame like that.

Though the weekend before my birthday, I just decided to be brave and just went for it. With the design that I wanted, I drove to Borneo Ink after my chiro appointment and Simon did my tattoo in no more than 10 minutes.

In the end, I super love the tattoo I got which was exactly what I've been wanting for the longest time. Everyday I look at it on my wrist and I don't regret it one bit.

--------------------------==========================-------------------------

Since I did something a little out there last year.... I thought why not make it a tradition to do that every year on my birthday. Even if there is no over-the-top birthday celebration, at least there's this.

In keeping with tradition, I decided to go a little crazy by dyeing my hair. I was super into the Harley Quinn (Suicide Squad ark) look which was what I wanted since I've never tried it before. Plus there's nothing to not love about the crazy and adorable DC character. Actually I had the thought to do this for quite a while but never had the guts to do it quite yet.

So I asked the best friend where she got her hair colour done & she recommended The Scissors Palace in Hartamas. If you've seen her hair then you'll know why I immediately disregarded other salons which I've enquired before and went there on Saturday without a second thought.

Trust me when I say that I was super excited (also quite scared cause what if I don't look good. then super FML cause I can't change it unless I chop all my hair off which is a big NO) for what was about to happen. I was going to get rid of my boring brown hair colour and turning myself into a 'Unicorn' as Davis Wong puts it.

And the first step to getting the hairstyle I wanted was to strip my current colour from my hair. This is JD, who was my designated stylist for the day, just layering the bleaching solution to my hair for the first time. There goes my hair's 'bleach virginity'.

Oh and say hello to Tortilla - the best friend's new hamster. She left him at the salon to keep me company when she went for lunch. This little ball of fluff is seriously quite crazy but super entertaining to watch whenever it caught my attention.

First it was gnawing at the cage doors, just the doors and not other bars because it knows that that is the way out. Wtf, super smart. Then it was climbing the walls and ceiling, becoming a spider-hamster just because and it's weird in a very entertaining way.

It was a long process to strip the previous colour I had on before. Please take my word for it and do not ever dye your hair red because it is the hardest colour to bleach out - not even black could compete with it.

Though, it is the strongest shade and will stay the longest out of every other possible colour you can dye your hair. But still not worth having it in hindsight because to transition from red to something else is damn tedious. Something I didn't know before and also, I mistakenly got the wrong shade

Feeling like a martian.
I honestly do not know what this infrared machine is supposed to do other than make you feel super hot. As in temperature, not looks cause that's virtually impossible. But I assume that it helps the bleach work faster or something like that?

Like I was complaining earlier about regretting dyeing my hair red. Well there's a big reason to that after hearing about the drawbacks of doing so from JD and also Davis. Since they are both exceptionally good hair stylists they do know their stuff which is why their advice is highly appreciated.

Even after bleaching my hair twice, it still isn't white like I thought. Instead it's a hella ugly copper/orange/yellow shade that makes me look like some anime-character-wannabe. And that's as far as they can go with bleaching without my hair breaking because it's brittle as hell from the long process.

Pink & Blue
And now it's time to layer on the colours which means I have to wait for another 30 - 45 minutes again. That's another thing that kind of bugs me about getting your hair done; its basically a big waiting game. All for the price of beauty.

Final product!
After ten thousand years just sitting in that chair - jokes, it only took me about three hours - I'm officially part of the unicorn family. All thanks to colour extraordinaire Davis Wong & The Scissors Palace!

Here's the thing, the end result didn't exactly turn out like I had initially pictured. I mean the pink was spot on to the Harley Quinn hairstyle that I wanted. But the blue didn't turn out as sharp as I was hoping for. No thanks to the ugly copper-yellow colour my bleached hair had become because of my previous dye-job. So this means when layering on the blue dye, it turned green instead with a minimal tinge of blue instead.

Honestly, I was just a tad bit disappointed. But after getting it curled nicely and stared at it longer in the huge mirror in front of me for a bit more; I definitely grew to love my hair more. Seriously this brings out a whole new vainer side of me.

Matching 'out to steal yo man' outfit.
In the end, I even took my hair out for the night because I see no reason not to, especially after having it styled so perfectly well for me. Well technically the best friend brought my lazy butt out for a night of partying to ring in my 23rd year in the only way she knew how - lots of champagne while we hid behind the DJ console. 

Thank you beb, for spending my birthday with me every year since you've been back in KL despite your busy schedule at times. Maximum love. Can't wait for our regular steamboat dates. :)

Got my Harley Quinn on, Bitches.
Actually, I can't be any happier with the end results even if the blue did not turn out as I had initially pictured. But Davis did an incredible job despite the setback and gave me a whole new look - will probably never go back to single shade hair colour anymore.

See you next time, puddings! (;

1 comment: